PM Modi launches projects worth Rs 20,000 crore in J&K, says youth won’t inherit old problems
In his first formal visit to Jammu and Kashmir since the abrogation of Article 370 in August 2019, PM Modi launched projects worth Rs 20,000 crore and promised that the youth in the region would not face the problems that their ancestors had seen.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi made his first formal visit to Jammu and Kashmir since his government scrapped the region’s special status in August 2019 on Sunday, April 24.
During his visit, he launched development projects worth Rs 20,000 crore and addressed gram sabhas across the country on the occasion of National Panchayati Raj Day from Palli Panchayat in Samba district of Jammu division. In his speech, he said that the youth of Jammu and Kashmir will not inherit the problems their ancestors faced and emphasised the importance of panchayats in India’s democracy.
PM Modi also interacted panchayat representatives in Palli in Samba district. He asked the representatives to utilise their tenure to do such good work in their area that they will be remembered for generations.
Here’s all you need to know about PM Modi’s Jammu and Kashmir visit.
PROJECTS WORTH RS 20,000 CRORE
PM Modi inaugurated and laid the foundation stone for various development projects in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday.
- PM Narendra Modi laid the foundation stones for the 850 MW Ratle Hydroelectric Project and 540 MW Kwar Hydroelectric Project to be constructed on the Chenab river in Kishtwar district.
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the Banihal-Qazigund Road Tunnel, built at a cost of over Rs 3,100 crore. The 8.45 km long tunnel will reduce the road distance between Banihal and Qazigund by 16 km, and reduce journey time by around one and a half hour.
- PM Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the Delhi-Amritsar-Katra Expressway.
- PM Modi inaugurated the 500KW Solar Power Plant at Palli village in Samba.
PM MODI’S ADDRESS | TOP POINTS
Here are the top points from PM Modi’s address in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday.
- “I am here with a message of development. To give speed to development in J&K, projects worth over Rs 20,000 crore have been inaugurated today.”
- “This year Panchayati Raj Day is being celebrated in J&K. This signals a new development. Democracy has reached grassroots level. The people of J&K were deprived of 3-tier Panchayati Raj system for many years.”
- “We have implemented all central laws in J&K to empower the people. Those denied benefit of reservation for years in J&K are now eligible.”
- “Tourism industry is once again gaining momentum in J&K.”
- “Mother Earth has to be freed from chemicals. Therefore, if our farmers move towards organic farming, then the whole of humanity will be benefited. Organic farming needs to be encouraged at the level of Gram Panchayats, for this also collective efforts are needed.”
- “Panchayat or Parliament, no job is small.”